Internal Controls Specialist
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Russell Tobin + Associates
- 08 Aug 17
The Financial Risk Management Department Senior Control Specialist executes the internal control program (SOX, Sarbanes-Oxley) for the III consolidated group of companies in North America. The Senior Control Specialist will be responsible for evaluating both the company level and process level controls and supporting the implementation of SOX program at newly in-scope subsidiaries. The Senior Control Specialist will also be responsible for various financial risk management initiatives, including supporting divisions and subsidiaries directly in process improvement and optimization projects.
Key Responsibility Areas:
· Prepare documentation and related materials to substantiate the assessment including narratives, walkthroughs, flowchart, risk control matrix, testing binders, etc. Update and maintain internal control documentation for both financial closing & reporting process and business processes at III and prepare SOX deliverables.
· Review and evaluate critical and significant financial processes and recommend areas for improvement. Work with management to remediate all deficiencies. Observe, analyze, and communicate findings to management and recommend solutions.
· Conduct test of operating effectiveness at III for both financial closing & reporting process and business processes and at in-scope subsidiaries for the financial closing & reporting process.
· Assist in the self-assessment of the overall III company level controls. Assist in the design and development of the internal control program and risk mitigating plans and programs, policies and procedures to neutralize and minimize the effect of threats and reduce inevitable risks. Recommend internal controls and compliance procedures whenever applicable. Coordinate with various business and administrative divisions and consolidating subsidiaries in mitigating risks.
· Facilitate the review of subsidiary SOX company level control and process level control submissions.
· Support new in-scope SOX subsidiaries in meeting the requirements and in readiness efforts.
· Perform the day to day activities of the Financial Risk Management Department and support the department in various risk management initiatives.
· Assist in the development and maintenance of accounting policies and procedures in response to new accounting pronouncements and standards. Participate in the research of new accounting pronouncements and analyzes its impact to the company, as well as, its impact to existing internal control program.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Candidate should have a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience (including 3 years of Big 4 experience) and a Professional accounting designation (CPA, CMA, or CIA) is preferred.
· Candidate should have knowledge and experience related to internal controls (COSO / Sarbanes Oxley), and a full-cycle Sarbanes-Oxley compliance experience from flowcharting to testing, gap analysis to remediation, and documentation to issuance of management’s assessment of internal control over financial reporting.
· Individual who is achievement oriented, with strong project management, analytical and communication (written and verbal) skills are required.
· Experience in trading, wholesale or distribution organizations is preferred.