The job will primarily be focused on building a high performing team supported by leading class operational practices in order to deliver an efficient and effective operating model that can be replicated as required across other Loans and Islamic Operations teams. The job holder will need to exhibit a ‘can do’ attitude, a zealousness for delivering change and a passion for challenging the status quo.
The job holder will be expected to work with Operations Management Team and other key stakeholders to ensure that operational activities and associated change programmes are aligned to the Group’s strategic objectives whilst managing risks to within the established Group risk appetite.
Reporting to the Head of Operations the job holder will support the:
- Creation of a high performing team capable of supporting the strategic plans of Wholesale and Islamic Business Units,
- Development and deployment of operational best practices using recognised industry concepts e.g. Lean / Six Sigma as well as relevant industry knowledge to increase process efficiency whilst minimising operational risks,
- Implementation of Key Performance metrics to drive a consistent, rigorous and on-going assessment of the team’s operational performance,
- Delivery of strategic change initiatives across ABC in accordance with the priorities agreed by the ABC Mancom.
The job holder will play a key role in ensuring the delivery of organisational change and process improvements in order to simplify existing activities and ultimately deliver scalable operational solutions that can be consistently implemented across the Group as required.
To support the above the job holder is expected to have a strong and broad knowledge of Wholesale and Islamic Products and related operational best practices and experience of working as part of a team that develops and delivers transformational change initiatives. A solid understanding of Lean or Six Sigma tools and methodologies is also desirable.
- To build a high performing Loans and Islamic Operations team supported by robust succession plans.
- Monitor and challenge (where appropriate), the activities of Wholesale and Islamic Business Units to ensure that they remain in accordance with the requirements of Group Policies.
- Ensure that all work processed by the Loans and Islamic Operations team adheres to all specified Bank processes, procedures, standards and relevant external requirements.
- Contribute to the development of a Target Operating Model for Group Loans and Islamic Operations capability.
- Develop and implement tools and techniques to identify changes that may be required to processes, procedures and or practices in order to support the strategic objectives of Wholesale and Islamic Business Units.
- Build and deploy standard business Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to ensure that there is high-quality Management Information available on all products with particular attention to Staff Productivity, Errors, Discrepancies and Service Level adherence within both the Front and Back Office.
- Managing, motivating, coaching and developing team members so that individual and collective performance meets the standards required.
- Leading the appraisal process within the team, collecting and keeping appropriate data.
- Ensuring effective communication and dissemination of appropriate information to all staff.
- Recommending and implementing changes to the way in which the team operates in order to improve service quality and process efficiency.
- Maintaining up-to-date awareness of market conditions and developments to ensure that best practice is adopted where required.
- Managing relationships with key stakeholders in Wholesale, Islamic, Risk, Compliance and Finance.
- Assessing management information reports, identifying risks and issues and briefing senior managers on major implications for change projects.
- Identifying and assessing trends or issues in workflow, investigating further when appropriate and implementing changes or co-ordinating support from other parties to resolve matters and minimise the risk of re-occurrence.
- Managing and delivering change initiatives.
- Working with team leaders to embed changes within the Loans and Islamic Operations team.
- Deep technical knowledge and experience of loan based and Islamic products.
- Strong Knowledge and understanding of other Wholesale Banking product families including Treasury, Trade and Cash Management products.
- Solid understanding of the commercial nature and risks associated with Loan and Islamic related services and products.
- Where appropriate will have a detailed knowledge of the regulatory practices which may impact the work of the department and an understanding of the likely impact of forthcoming change.
Education / Certifications
- Degree level qualification in banking, finance, accountancy or business administration.
- Recognized Finance and / or Islamic Product related professional qualification
- At least 10 to 15 years working experience in Loans or Islamic Support areas of which at least 5 have been in a leadership position responsible for team development and strategic change initiatives.
- Articulate and easy to understand with strong interpersonal skills. Checks others’ understanding in response to enquiries/situations.
- Fluent English (spoken and written), Arabic also advantageous.
- Produces clear and concise reports and other written material which are understandable to those with or without knowledge of the subject.
- Full understanding of relevant computer applications and can effectively input, extract and format data.
- Ability to work under pressure, with strong time management skills and proven track record in planning, managing and prioritising own and teams’ work.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to learn new systems and identify and define problems and solutions.