Stage - Open Source our Repository of Code Katas
Murex is a recognized global leader in software development for trading, risk management and processing. Every day banks, asset managers, corporations and utilities, across the world, rely on Murex people and Murex solutions to support their capital markets activities. Our motto "pioneering again" sums it all up: since its creation, Murex has reinvented itself time and again to adapt to capital markets revolutions - each time offering innovative software solutions to the industry.
Over 2200 specialists are located across our 17 offices: Beijing, Beirut, Dubai, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Moscow, New York, Paris, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Seoul, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, and Toronto . Want to discover how to navigate the open source world?
Spreading agile technical practices, such as Test Driven Development, Pair programming, and continuous refactoring through a large organization is a challenge. The recipe we currently use at Murex is to run a series of code katas with the teams. In order to do so, we have collected katas into learning plans for particular themes, like legacy code or testing. Some of these katas are open source, but others were created specifically for our purpose. These plans, formalized in a git repo, are very useful but still suffer from shortcomings:
- we need to keep them up to date with existing open source katas
- they are not yet fully 'self-service' for teams that want to practice on their own
The goal of this internship is to open source these plans and our new katas. We believe that it:
Benefits for the intern
- will enforce a smooth integration with the existing open source katas
- will enforce the use of standards and cross-platform tools in the katas, which will help teams to self-serve on katas they want to practice. Both in Murex, but also throughout the global developer community
- is just fair to pay back to the community
- will hopefully provide us more feedback about the katas that people test
- might even trigger some contributors to improve the katas or learning plans
We believe this internship provides a very interesting 'kick-off' for a career as a software engineer. The intern:
- Will learn and practice many standard development tools: git, Maven, Intellij Idea, VisualStudio, CMake, Conan...
- will learn TDD, pair programming, mob programming, refactoring in baby steps, and other agile technical practices. These techniques are real life savers when it comes to mitigating the stress inherent to the software engineer job
- will discover the world of technical agile coaching and code katas, which can be used to spread best practices through teams
- will commit under his own name in open source repos
- will discover the habits and custom of the open source community
In order to meet this goal, we'll provide:
- Kata sessions so that the intern really understands the domain
- Close collaboration with the coaches who selected and designed the katas and the learning plans
- Help from the people who are responsible for the open-source process inside Murex
The intern will need:
This position is also open for an apprenticeship.
- Last year student in software engineering
- To know at least 1 mainstream language (Java, C#, Python, C++...)
- Know or willing to learn Java and C++
- To be a fast learner, as he will have to get to speed on the many tools in the open source 'build' ecosystem (CMake, maven, Conan...)