In your new role as SQL DBA tehcnical Consultant you will be responsible for working on database project delivery and / or production support activities from a technical perspective. This will include solving production and pre-production issues, working on change, incidents, problems and service improvement or engineering initiatives.
The Data Services Group sits within TIS (Technical Infrastructure Services) providing a real-time, agile Enterprise Data Platform. We provide traditional Relational Database support and consultation alongside Data Analytics, In-memory, Virtualisation, Big Data built on a Self-service and automation platform. We also provide services around Data Security, Data Quality and the full Lifecycle management.
Purpose of your role
The Technical Specialist SQL Server DBA - Data Services is responsible for working on database project delivery and / or production support activities from a technical perspective. Typically, this will be day to day activities supporting database infrastructure including solving production and pre-production issues, working on change, incidents, problems and service improvement or engineering initiatives.
This role demands strong technical skills with a focus to ensure maximum uptime of the production database infrastructure. Working as a member of a global database support team the successful candidate will play a pro-active role in the support of Fidelity's database estate. The role requires Expert level Microsoft SQL Server database technical skills across Windows platforms.
The role will involve regular BAU (Business As Usual) support and will involve 24 x 7 On-Call support and weekend & shift working.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- 24x7 support for Fidelity's Production database estate. This includes all Production, Disaster Recovery, Emergency Break Fix, User Acceptance Testing and Development environments.
- Rapid response to address high severity (severity 1, 2 and 3H) incidents.
- Support and delivery of assigned project work.
- Pro-active issue detection and resolution as well as service monitoring.
- Service restoration after unanticipated outages or disruptions.
- Provision of technical support on a shift, on-call and rotational basis.
- Resolution of production support issues.
- Escalation as necessary to secure assistance and technical guidance from other Technology teams to resolve support issues.
- Management and progression of Action items.
- Automation and process improvement of database activities.
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Excellent SQL Server database administration skills in a production support capacity; with the responsibility for the delivery, support and maintenance of reliable, highly available and high-performance environments.
- Support of database installation and configuration, monitoring and housekeeping, upgrade and patching, troubleshooting, root cause analysis and performance tuning.
- Awareness of ITIL processes.
- A good team player.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, together with the ability to communicate with management and other business and technical groups.
- Good analytical and, problem solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing business needs (flexible) and learning new skills quickly.
- Customer focused - strong service ethic.
- Calm approach when under pressure.
- Experience of working to tight deadlines on a regular basis.
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal direction.
- Ability to mentor the junior members in the team.
- Above 8 Years of progressive working knowledge of database technologies
- SQL Server (2014, 2017)
- Microsoft SQL Server Certified Professional (MSCE)
- Excellent understanding Window's operating system.
- SQL Server Always On
- Scripting expertise in T-SQL/PowerShell
- Database backup restore and recovery
- Database performance tuning expertise
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Database clustering technologies including Microsoft Clustering.
- Microsoft Reporting and Analysis Services