Manager, GFS Control
- Location: Limerick, Munster, Ireland
- Salary: Competitive
- Job Type: Full time
Manager, GFS ControlAbout The Department:
The GFS Control group is a global group of individuals with a mission of ensuring the business have a robust and effective control environment in place. Our product concentrates on 5 areas; process adherence testing, incident & error trend analysis, deep dive process reviews, metrics analysis, audit validation, & operational change engagement. We have a global end to end framework in place of established guidelines and templates that enable us to perform analysis &provide consistent value add pro-active proposals to mitigate future business risk, increase process efficiencies & enhance the overall control environment within GFS. Lines of business supported include Fund Accounting, Financial Reporting, Transfer Agency, Hedge Fund Services, Depositary, Custody, Private Equity & Property.
About The Role:
The GFS Control Manager is a role that is responsible for oversight of the operational control structure of the Depositary, Custody and either Fund Accounting or Transfer Agency business units within Global Fund Services in Ireland. The Control Manager provides proactive leadership and guidance to the control team and the business managers and partners, to strengthen or re design controls, ensure compliance and mitigate operational risk.
The position reports directly to the Ireland Head of GFS Control and is based in Limerick.
- Demonstrates proactive leadership & engagement with business units concerning their respective control environment.
- Fosters and promotes Northern's commitment to a strong risk management culture by developing a control mindset within the GFS businesses.
- Oversees activities & prioritization of work, provides coaching, training and career development, and performance assessment for the assigned Control areas.
- Drives the control strategy & standardization across the business unit. Creates a high quality, motivated team that adds measurable value to the business and our clients.
- Actively participates in Ireland Control & relevant business management meetings.
- Drives initiatives or participates in steering groups to implement control enhancements, compliance with corporate policy, or risk mitigation.
- Engage with senior management around various issues tied to material errors/losses, audit & compliance issues, regulatory matters and control breakdowns.
- Work closely with the Business Units regarding the development of controls and metrics to make sure proper preventative and detective controls are in place.
- Monitors key metrics to identify operational risk and/or control problems at an early stage and ensures that immediate measures are taken to maintain quality and efficiency standards. Drives recommendations to strengthen control weaknesses.
- Drives compliance with corporate policies, advises & communicates on relevant updates.
- Partners with various risk management and control groups throughout the organization.
- Engagement in business unit related audits, compliance reviews and regulatory examinations. Holds business unit accountable for resolving all open issues in a timely manner and avoiding repeat findings. Evidencing closure of items in order to meet milestones.
- Proven experience related business experience in operational areas is required
- Transfer Agency or Fund Accounting experience is a strong advantage.
- Background in risk management, consulting, compliance monitoring, or auditing is desirable
- Possess an understanding of associated products and services as well as operational functions, regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- Demonstrate ability to work with cross-functional lines of business and prioritize accordingly.
- Ability to work with teams in other geographical locations.
- Knowledge of risk management techniques and proven ability to assess business processes for efficiency & control design.
- Strong communication, negotiation and analytical skills
- Effective project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior level partners across an organization
- Ability to travel on a moderate basis (5-10%).
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 18,500 employees globally. We serve the world's most-sophisticated clients - from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families, to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
Northern Trust proudly cultivates a diverse workforce, to serve our diverse client base. We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company. We encourage applications from the best regardless of ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, education, socio-economic background, parental and caring status, or religion.
As of September 30, 2018, Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $10.8 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $8.2 trillion in assets under custody
- $1.2 trillion in assets under management
- $132 billion in banking assets