About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust, a Fortune 500 company, is a globally recognized, award-winning financial institution that has been in continuous operation since 1889.
Northern Trust is proud to provide innovative financial services and guidance to the world's most successful individuals, families and institutions by remaining true to our enduring principles of service, expertise and integrity. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 22,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service. Role/ Department:
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior UNIX Engineer/Consultant to provide expert-level engineering/consulting services & support to our (internal) clients.
As part of a global UNIX Engineering team, you will work on a project basis, collaborating with our internal clients to assess, design, implement, support and optimize UNIX/Linux-based systems and infrastructure. Your in-depth knowledge of UNIX/Linux systems and strong problem-solving skills will be crucial in delivering effective solutions and ensuring the smooth operation of Northern Trusts (NT) UNIX/Linux environments. The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Consult with internal clients to understand their business objectives and technical requirements related to UNIX/Linux systems.
- Perform comprehensive assessments of existing UNIX/Linux infrastructure, including hardware, software, and networking components.
- Design and architect UNIX/Linux-based solutions that align with Northern Trusts' needs and industry best practices.
- Install, configure, and maintain UNIX/Linux operating systems, ensuring optimal performance, reliability, and security.
- Automate tasks and processes
- Provide expertise in UNIX/Linux system administration, including user management, file system maintenance, backup and recovery, and system monitoring.
- Troubleshoot complex issues related to UNIX/Linux systems, analyzing logs, diagnosing problems, and implementing timely solutions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including network administrators, database administrators, and application developers, to integrate UNIX/Linux systems into larger infrastructures.
- Develop and implement security measures and best practices to protect UNIX/Linux systems from unauthorized access, viruses, and other threats.
- Conduct performance tuning and optimization activities to enhance the efficiency and scalability of UNIX/Linux environments.
- Document system configurations, procedures, and troubleshooting steps to ensure knowledge transfer and facilitate future maintenance and support.
- Stay updated with industry trends, emerging technologies, and UNIX/Linux-related advancements to provide valuable insights and recommendations to clients.
- Provide training and guidance to junior team members, sharing your knowledge and experience to foster professional growth.
. Skills/ Qualifications:
If you are a highly motivated and experienced IT professional with a passion for UNIX/Linux systems and automation, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity. The successful candidate will benefit from having:
Working with Us
- Extensive experience as a UNIX/Linux consultant or administrator, preferably in a engineering or consulting capacity for large, global and complex environments.
- Strong proficiency in UNIX /Linux operating systems (e.g., Solaris, AIX, Red hat, Ubuntu, Linux) and related technologies.
- In-depth knowledge of UNIX/Linux system architecture, file systems, processes, and network protocols.
- Proficiency in shell scripting and automation tools (e.g., Ansible, Bash, Perl, Python) for system administration tasks.
- Experience with automation, scripting and DevOps
- Experience with disaster recovery and business continuity planning
- Experience in virtualization technologies (e.g., VMware, KVM) and cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure) is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with configuration management tools (e.g., Puppet, Ansible, CFEngine) and version control systems (e.g., Git).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to diagnose and resolve complex UNIX-related issues.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with clients, understand their requirements, and articulate solutions.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a global team, managing multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Certifications in UNIX/Linux administration (e.g., Red Hat Certified Engineer, Oracle Solaris Administrator) are a plus.
As a Northern Trust partner, greater achievements await. You will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture in an organization where financial strength and stability is an asset that emboldens us to explore new ideas. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company committed to assisting the communities we serve! Join a workplace with a greater purpose.
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today. #MadeForGreater
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email our HR Service Center at MyHRHelp@ntrs.com .
We hope you're excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us. We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.