Linux Systems Administrator
About the Company
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services Firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 747 offices in 42 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. Job Detail
Morgan Stanley seeks individuals from different backgrounds and experiences as we strongly believe diversity is an opportunity for leading with exceptional ideas. Across all roles, we seek candidates who value honesty, character and diversity to foster an inclusive work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging, and can partner with colleagues to deliver the best of the Firm to our clients. Professional development is supported through open and honest 360 feedback, career conversations, training opportunities, and mentoring / coaching.
Morgan Stanley's Linux trading infrastructure support team is looking for a seasoned Linux Systems Administrator, to implement and maintain the next version of our large scale Linux trading plant. The existing environment consists of a latency and performance optimized, colocated tradeplant which is continually modernised and enhanced to ensure the delivery of a stable and secure infrastructure with increased agility and flexibility.
The Specialized Electronic Trading Infrastructure support team is responsible for maintaining and improving Linux infrastructure for Morgan Stanley's distributed systems. The group is involved in evaluation, certification, integration, and maintenance of numerous products, including hardware, Red Hat Linux, configuration management solutions, system services (DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc.), virtualization technologies and a variety of in-house developed tools primarily written in Python and Perl.
Role Profile and Responsibilities
- We are looking for a Linux System Administrator with Perl or Python development experience.
- You will have experience of managing, deploying and debugging large scale production environments
- You will work with other infrastructure teams to address outstanding performance and stability issues.
- You will be able to write secure, testable, robust code.
- You will be responsible for on-call responsibilities shared with a global team
- You will be joining a global team of highly accomplished engineers, developers, and operations specialists.
- You will contribute and maintain documentation for systems, processes, and procedures.
- You will have experience with Change Management and Problem management practices
- You will be expected to collaborate with a global team to accomplish deliverables.
- You will be responsible to participate in open forums with your global team to discuss projects.
- You will be expected to act like an owner.
- 4+ years of Enterprise Level Experience in Large Distributed Environment
- In Depth Experience with Linux System Administration preferably Red Hat.
- Detailed knowledge of TCP/IP, Experience with networking and security concepts, implementation, and troubleshooting.
- Experience with monitoring tools and solutions
- Proven analytical and troubleshooting skills in a highly visible, fast paced enterprise environment.
- Coding experience with Perl/Python and shell scripting.
- Experience automating workflow
- Ability to work with a global team.
- An understanding of Problem and Change Management Practices
- An understanding of SLA, Metrics, and Alerts
- Effective communication skills to a diverse audience
- Ability to write technical documentation and teach team members.
Equal Opportunity Statement
- Solid understand of Linux Kernel internals performance tuning
- Deep understanding of multi-processor systems including NUMA and PCI device locality
- Experience with high-performance network devices (Solarflare, Mellanox, Exablaze)
- Experience with kernel bypass, FPGA, or another novel high-performance specialty
- Experience with containerization and orchestration a plus
- Experience with application integration
- Some experience working in a DevOps centric environment
“At Morgan Stanley, diversity is an opportunity—for clients, employees and firm. By valuing diverse perspectives, we can better serve our clients, while we help employees achieve their professional objectives. A corporate culture that is open and inclusive is fundamental to our role as a global leader constantly striving for excellence in all that we do." ―James P. Gorman
It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.