Job description Some careers open more doors than others.
If you’re looking for a career that will unlock new opportunities, join HSBC and experience the possibilities. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
Global Legal plays an important role in protecting the Group’s reputation by helping to future-proof the organisation through robust legal risk and issue advisory. Responsible for providing comprehensive legal advice to senior management and all global businesses and functions, the team offers a diverse range of legal skills, jurisdictional experience and practice specialisms across all countries and territories in which our businesses operate.
We are currently seeking a high calibre professional to join our team as a Senior Legal Counsel. Principal Responsibilities
- All Lending (secured and unsecured) and Distribution related matters for the Wealth and Personal Banking (WPB) business in Singapore
- Lending products covered include Lombard lending, Wealth portfolio lending and other secured investment financing, insurance premium financing, real estate financing (mortgages in respect of properties in Singapore, Australia and other in-scope markets), capital contribution financing and personal loans
- Lending work will involve (a) preparation of standard bank documentation for new products and reviewing changes / amending documentation for on the shelf products as required; (b) review specific transactions and provide advice relating to such cases and (c) in respect of more complex Wealth lending products, considerations of customer/sales suitability
- Legal work on Distribution matters primarily involves providing legal advice relating to the sale and distribution of WPB products through the SG WPB’s First Line business teams (such as Employee Business Solutions and Direct Sales) and third party channels and partnerships. The work will include the review and negotiation of distribution and partnership agreements and consideration of the bank’s risk framework relating to the engagement of third party sales agents and lead generators
- Evaluate and respond to changes in the law and regulation relevant to the products and channels under the lawyer’s remit so as to manage existing legal risks and identify and manage new/ emerging legal risks
- Work/advise on all associated digital projects, potential contentious issues and data privacy issues; where required, working with subject matter experts in the wider Legal team
- Assisting and collaborating with the SG WPB Legal team and with the wider legal teams in Singapore and ASP. This may include providing additional support on Wealth investments and data privacy matters relevant to the SG WPB business and working on regional projects
- Qualified Lawyer with no less than 7 years post qualification experience
- Solid post qualification experience working in credit and lending and/or corporate commercial practices of a reputable international or Singapore law firm or, at an in-house legal department (of which at least 3 years must be gained at a reputable international or Singapore law firm)
- Experience with lending structures and documentation. Strong drafting skills required
- Experience with commercial transactions and documentation including advising on legal issues relating to confidentiality, data privacy, competition law, dispute management, consumer protection
- Sound knowledge of lending and collateral rules (including mortgages) applicable in Singapore. Some knowledge of lending rules in Australia will be a plus
- Adaptable to working both as a team player and independently when required
- Ability to work directly with cross functional teams including business teams
- Collaborative, adaptable and open to innovation and new ideas/ ways of working
- Strong ability to prioritise with lateral thinking/ problem solving skills
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills and presentation skills
- Ability to work under pressure and a self-starter
To be considered for this role, the relevant rights to work in Singapore is required. You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.