Workday Solution Architect
Trafigura is committed to building and maintaining world-class business applications and
infrastructure. The Trading IT group directly supports the Trafigura trading business including
corporate functions such as Human Resources (HR), Finance and Accounting. The HR department has started a far-reaching global programme to enhance and improve its Human Capital Management (HCM) applications based on standards, industry based architecture and out-of-the-box capabilities, only customising in very exceptional circumstances, in order to support scalability, maintainability and growth across the countries and geographies that Trafigura operate in.
This programme aims to deliver functional capabilities, enhancements and technical upgrades to
enable direct benefit across the global HR function whilst providing support for continued business growth and enhanced profitability for the firm.
The Workday Solution Architect is responsible for helping to define and implement the technical
direction for the HR department. The Architect will work closely with the Trading IT CTO/Architecture
Group and take functional direction from the FR department in terms of articulating requirements and
having these implemented, working with the Project Manager and development and testing teams.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities, Key Responsibilities: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive experience working with business stakeholders to understand the business and define an IT strategy to meet business needs
- Strong experience architecting enterprise solutions in a physical commodities or financial services business, from front office to back office.
- Proven ability to define strategic enterprise solutions from application through to infrastructure
- Proven ability to turn strategy into reality, through collaboration and directing delivery organisations, both internal and external.
- Experience in software and hardware selection processes, for both infrastructure and packaged applications including cloud based solutions such as SaaS and PaaS.
- Expert in SDLC
- Working to assist the Head of HR and HR Managers in delivering HCM / WD Strategy, Architecture and Technical Services whilst working very closely with the CIO/CTO in managing the interactions with external technology providers
- Ability to set and enforce WD architectural standards for an organisation and identify, and ensure remediation of, significant historic technical debt
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively explain complex technical subjects to non-technical people
- Able to command respect from highly skilled technical teams
- Strong academic background - excellent degree from a top tier university is required in a subject that demonstrates the need for logical thinking, precise understanding and clear articulation
- Able to engage with a globally distributed team composed of employees and consultants
Key Attitudes / Competencies
- Managing and driving oversight and technical leadership in Portals technology
- Logical Access Control and Security
All portals are security baselined, assessed and certified
Code inspection as necessary
Code exploits and Injection attempts avoided in code
Defining NFRs for WD / HCM capability
AWS and knowledge of all AWS services including billing and security
Knowledge of MS Azure also desirable
Architecture and Design
Drive best practice SDLC and Engineering
Drive best practice UI/VX/VD
Ensuring all software complies with standards - Semmle/SONAR
- Conducting PoCs for new technologies that could benefit the HR department
- Leading technical evaluations of potential package solutions
- Defining development and deployment architecture standards
- Defining infrastructure requirements and working with IT engineering to provision them
- Ensuring all strategic WD development and implementation conforms to architectural and security standards and the architecture is appropriately documented.
- Curiosity around new technologies and vision on how to apply them to meet business needs
- Pragmatic delivery focus
- Excellent communicator and team player
- Able to command respect from highly skilled technical teams
- Ability to make decisions & thrive in a fast paced environment
1. In depth knowledge of Workday (WD), its integration capabilities and utilising the out-of-the-box
(OOTB) capabilities whilst avoiding and managing very closely the desire to customise Wokday.
a. HCM / WD Core HR
c. Advanced Compensation
e. Payroll Integration
f. Compensation management
g. Financials - Expense / T&E Management
l. Secondment / Expatriate management
m. Recruitment Management
n. Benefits Management
o. Talent management
p. Performance Management
q. Absence Management (Sickness, Holidays, Education, etc)
r. Employee Self Service
s. Manager Self Service
t. Time Interface & Time Tracking
u. Performance Management
v. Succession Planning
y. Integrations / Conversions
2. WD certified SME
3. Broad knowledge of end-to-end processing and real-time and batch driven distributed
4. Application, Systems, Information/Data Architecture.
5. OS (Oracle Solaris, Linux, Windows Server,)
6. Portal based technologies
7. Mobile based technologies
8. Web Servers, Application Server, Java, J2EE
10. Middleware, Databases, Web Servers, Application Servers, Monitoring Tools, Automation,
11. SOA and its applicability.
12. Data access techniques - stored procedures, integration.
13. Large-scale computing and low latency.
14. Architecture tools such as SPARX, ARIS, Archimate, MagicDraw, MEGA.
15. Open and Enterprise API with regard to internal and external cloud hosting.
16. Integration Architecture - Message Buses, EAI, ETL and Data Warehouses, REST, SOAP, Java.
17. Establishing measures or techniques to achieve design quality.
18. Capacity planning and Performance Tuning.
19. Project management, planning and estimating.
20. Solid understanding of IT security standards and best practices (Encryption, Authentication,
21. Solid understanding of full Software Life Cycle Development. Desirable
1. Enterprise Architecture.
2. Knowledge of XML, XSD, XQuery, XPATH, XSLT.
3. JConsole, Yourkit, Splunk, AppDynamics.
5. Awareness of testing automation as it relates to web based technologies
6. Rules engines / Event aggregation and correlation (Splunk, Esper, ...)
7. Saxon, Schematron, MapForce, XMLSpy.
8. Open Source Software and its applicability.
9. Development or technical background, ideally in Java, C, C++, .NET.
10. Application and transport level protocols (TCP/IP, REST, MQ ...).
11. Appreciation of ITIL and ITSM and applicability as it relates to WD.
Key Relationships and Department Overview: Key Relationships
- HR Systems team
- Close relationships with business sponsors
- Robust collaborative relationship with Head of HR and Managers, CIO/CTO, functional architects, business analysts, software delivery leads.
- Collaborative relationships with IT engineering team
- Managing control and liaison with technology and outsourcing partners
- Testing and training groups
- Reporting into the Global Head of HR for functional direction and the Trading IT CTO for technical direction and guidance