Senior MSSQL and System Engineer in Zurich | NatWest Group Careers
We're looking for a System Engineer to join us in Zurich.
What you'll do
- This is an exciting opportunity for someone interested in working in an international environment, while being able to interact with various stakeholders
- You'll be joining our organisation as it's transforming its architecture, pushing forward with innovative solutions in various technologies
- Work with the latest technologies and share your technical expertise in a collaborative, agile and forward thinking team environment
As a member of the infrastructure team, you'll play a key role in implementing our cloud first strategy throughout the technical environment and maintaining it via Agile working practices. You will be primarily responsible for the Microsoft Server and MS SQL environment, with secondary responsibilities for 3rd level and application support. Additionally, you will be required to undertake solution architecture duties as needed and work across multiple projects.
You'll also be responsible for:
The skills you'll need
- Implementation, support, maintenance, and performance tuning of standalone, FCI MS SQL clusters.
- Maintenance of the Microsoft server platform baseline configuration and introduction of new features.
- Management of the security and configuration baselines for the Windows server environment.
- Performance of project management activities alongside 3rd level support.
- Creation of scripts for the purposes of automating technical infrastructure services and requests.
- Working both independently and as part of a team to achieve project based outcomes.
- Resolution of production incidents for systems under your remit.
- Driving operational efficiency through innovation and helping to define future projects.
- Creation of design and operational documents followed by handover of operational responsibilities.
- Execution of Incident, Problem and Change Management processes.
- Coaching and SME support for key topics within your domain.
We're looking for a strong system engineer within an enterprise environment, with a vast experience as an MS SQL database administrator in a clustered HA environment. You'll need to demonstrate hands-on experience with Windows server management and experience in integrating infrastructure applications. You'll also need to have experience in a regulated environment (e.g. pharmaceuticals, banking) that has structured Incident, Problem and Change Management. Additionally, you'll need to have a university degree (preferred) or formal IT related education.
We'll also look for you to demonstrate:
- Demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft SQL database technologies, especially in FCI (WSFC and AlwaysOn), as well as backup restore management.
- Strong knowledge in optimization of complex T-SQL queries and indexes, using execution plans, Extended Events, and other appropriate tools.
- Profound knowledge of Microsoft Sever operating systems (MS Server 2012 R2 through to 2019).
- Very strong scripting skills in Powershell with a capability to develop complex scripts from scratch.
- Strong understanding of common enterprise infrastructure and technologies (e.g., AD, GPO, DNS, load balancing and clustering, virtualization, and storage).
- Good understanding of how to implement least privilege security within an AD environment.
- Good understanding of the web application technology stacks.
- Able to communicate in English, both written and verbal.
- Available to provide 3rd level support as well as out-of-hours on-call duties.
- Available to work some weekends on-site throughout the year when required.
- Capable of independently acquiring new knowledge and skills.
- Experience in integrating PKI dependent applications within a zoned firewall environment an advantage.
- Experience in orchestration, cloud (public, hybrid, private) and containerization technologies a distinct advantage.
- Willingness to adapt to changes in infrastructure technologies and strategy.
- Ability to maintain an unbiased view to technology solutions and able to rationalize fit-for-purpose solutions.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner appropriate to a performance driven environment.
- vRealize Automation (vRA) and Orchestration (vRO) experience are an advantage.
- Industry-related certifications are an advantage.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles. Who we are
RBS Services (Switzerland) Ltd is an IT services and operations processing provider for Private Banking entities of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group. Our experienced teams are dedicated, determined and enthusiastic in using their capability and drive for innovation to design, build, maintain and run the delivery of an exceptional and sustainable service to Private Banking clients.
The RBS Private Banking entities offer high net worth clients a comprehensive range of private banking, wealth planning and investment management services through the Coutts and Adam & Co brands as well as to designated NatWest and RBS clients in the UK and internationally. To anticipate and respond to changing client demand, there is a growing emphasis on delivering a full range of innovative digital services.