- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom Glasgow Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 21 Aug 18 2018-08-21
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
Morgan Stanley seeks a professional to join its Global General Ledger Control (GGLC) team on a permanent basis within the Glasgow office.
GGLC was established in 2012 as a key component of the Firm’s control framework, leveraging existing functions in the Glasgow and Mumbai offices. Now consolidated as a global team, GGLC is responsible for the design and implementation of a Firmwide system of controls for the General Ledger, and began by focusing on three key account lines: non-funding intercompany, cash at bank and zero balance accounts, with an emphasis on ownership, reconciliation and substantiation of these sections of the General Ledger (comprising monthly Balance Sheet and P&L certification, and other related tasks). The team now also encompasses ledger maintenance and reference data, and governance.
Across all three streams of GGLC, there is now an increased project slate, encompassing both short term tactical fixes to immediate problems, and involvement in longer term strategic initiatives (both driven by GGLC and GGLC involvement in projects driven by others). This increased remit has given rise to the need for an additional permanent resource in that space.
- Daily & monthly control activities around Intercompany related activities:
- Validation of any daily currency exposure arising from daily intercompany P&L movements
- Efficient responses to ad-hoc queries raised by key clients
- Input and delivery into ongoing intercompany related project work
- Intercompany payments
- Ownership for daily deliverables and processes within the team, including preparation of regulatory reporting and key stakeholder reporting
- Reconciliation and substantiation of the Intercompany Balance Sheet and Income Statement
- Preparation and/or review of monthly substantiation files including interest and illogical balance checks
- Review of manual journals impacting intercompany to ensure accurate books and records
- Preparation and posting of manual journals to ensure accurate books and records
- Support mechanism for global intercompany team
Candidates for role should be accountancy qualified or part qualified with and interest or aptitude for financial products and display the following skill set:
- Committed and self-motivated individual who can demonstrate initiative & problem solving abilities
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Strong appreciation of escalation and risk awareness
- Analytical skills with a control focus and high regard for attention to detail
- Demonstrate an understanding of account assertions and concepts of audit evidence
- Critical thinking in order to challenge processes, solve for ad hoc queries and creativity to suggest alternative approaches
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to deal with colleagues/clients of all levels
- Very focused on guardianship and ensuring that exceptions are identified, resolved and escalated on a timely basis
- Financial Services experience is preferred
- Experience of working in a multi-location team
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-EM3