About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
The C&IS Technology Department is looking for a self-motivated, enthusiastic, nimble, and pragmatic individual with a digital mind-set to join our team as a Scrum Master. What You Will Do:
As a Scrum Master you will be responsible for facilitating the planning, delivery and continuous improvement of Agile teams. Collaborates with team members across both Business and Technology, providing mentoring and coaching on Agile principles and practices. In addition, this role is a servant leader who enables team success by removing impediments and implementing effective ways of working that foster continuous improvement and collaboration. Key Knowledge and Skills:
• A College or University degree and relevant proven work experience of Agile practical usage in the role of Scrum Master is required.
• Experience with Agile Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools (JIRA, Rally/CA Agile Central, VersionOne, etc.) preferred.
• Certified Scrum Professional and/or certified Scrum Master preferred.
• Ability to create empowered, self-organizing, high-performing teams by serving as the team's servant leader
o Mentor the team and the Product Owner on Scrum and Agile best practices
o Continuously improve team productivity and facilitate completion of work
o Educate the team, Product Owner and stakeholders on the business value of engineering practices, and promote the use of engineering practices to provide faster delivery, better quality, and fewer defects
o In collaboration with the team and Product Owner, regularly assess the Agile maturity of the team, identify improvement opportunities, and implement the improvements at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and the organization
• Coach the team on the value and methods of developing cross-functional skills
• Facilitate planning
o Coach the Product Owner on creating and maintaining a continuously prioritized Product Backlog of stories with clear acceptance criteria and high-level estimates
o In collaboration with the team, facilitate the creation of team agreements which minimally include a Definition of Done (DOD) and a Definition of Ready (DOR)
o Facilitate regular Release Planning workshops
o Ensure updates to the plan are communicated to stakeholders
• Facilitate delivery
o In collaboration with the team, identify and mitigate risks, issues and dependencies internal and external to the team
o Remove impediments that prevent the team from delivering work and continuously improving
o Facilitate sprint execution including elaborate planning sessions, sprint planning preparation sessions, sprint planning, daily stand-ups, sprint reviews and sprint retrospectives. Team coaching on:
- Creating small stories with thin slices of end-to-end functionality
- The value and use of relative estimation
- Executing Design/Build/Test activities daily
- Testing early and often during each sprint
- Incorporating engineering practices
- Completing committed stories in the sprint
- Completing Potentially Shippable
- Increments (PSI) in each sprint
- Correctly and effectively using velocity for planning
• Time box events to effectively manage the team's and stakeholders' time. Create information radiators that automatically and continuously share pertinent information with the team and stakeholders. Increase transparency and aid in internal and external communication and alignment. Read and recommend valuable Lean and Agile books, blogs, articles, etc. to continuously increase the team's Agile maturity.
• Seasoned expert on Agile principles and practices, with extensive technical and / or business knowledge. Provides comprehensive, in-depth consulting and leadership to team and partners at the highest technical level.
• Able to facilitate open, fact based discussions, build consensus and reach decisions.
• Carries out highly complex activities and initiatives which can involve multiple disciplines and/or ambiguous issues. Preferred Knowledge and Skills :
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, time management and individual and team building skills. Advanced interpersonal skills, able to establish strong working relationships and promote bi-directional communication within and across teams and programs.
• Excellent leadership and organizational skills, skilled in facilitation, continuous improvement, empowerment, transparency, building trust and servant leadership. Able to effectively manage challenging situations through negotiation and conflict resolution.
• Excellent understanding of all facets of the software development life cycle including planning, development, quality assurance, change management and release management.
• Excellent understanding of software development methodologies and fundamentals (Agile, SCRUM, Kanban, Waterfall, etc.) Excellent knowledge and experience with Agile techniques such as Continuous Integration, automated testing, test-first approaches such as TDD, ATDD, etc., pairing, Agile games, etc.
• Able to organize, moderate and demonstrate Agile industry best practices. Experience with developing and executing plans, meeting deadlines, coordinating timelines and efforts and applying advanced principles, theories and experiences Working with Us:
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways: Financial
- Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review Work Life Balance
- Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days Health & Wellbeing
- Private Medical Insurance, Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program Professional Development
- Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives. And Finally
We hope you're excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.