Senior Data Scientist - Financial Crime
- disc. bonus/benefits
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- HSBC Bank plc
- 14 Jul 18 2018-07-14
Working as part of a team, the role holder will, using advanced analytical skills, develop the HSBC Group's new financial intelligence platform, through which it intends to pro-actively search for financial crime risks not detected by the Group's current suite of financial crime systems
Some careers grow faster than others.
If you're looking for a career where you will be respected as an individual and valued for the contributions you make, join HSBC and discover how diversity drives our success. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
Financial Crime Threat Mitigation (FCTM) focuses on the specific financial crime threats the firm faces now and in the future, pioneering the techniques and technology that protect our business, our customers, and the many communities in which we operate from the harms associated with financial crime. FCTM harnesses intelligence, analytics, technology, investigation, information sharing, and public-private partnership to achieve this end, always seeking the most effective and efficient means. FCTM is also partnering with Financial Crime Compliance to build the case for a more efficient and effective regulatory approach by defining a potential new regulatory landscape based on practical, tested innovation and serving as a thought leader in the ongoing public debate on the future of regulatory compliance.
In this role, the jobholder is responsible for:
- Working as part of a team, using advanced analytical skills, develop the HSBC Group's new financial intelligence platform, through which it intends to pro-actively search for financial crime risks not detected by the Group's current suite of financial crime systems.
- Working at the leading edge of analytics, applying the best possible combination of applied mathematics, statistics, advanced computing (machine learning, artificial intelligence), visualisation and data engineering to the area of combatting financial crime. Those of the above skills which the role holder does not currently bring to the role, will need to be developed.
- Working with extremely large, complex data sets. The ability to merge large data sets, to generate insight from those data sets and to be able to visualise those insights for both technical and non-technical audiences and users.
- Writing code for the application of advanced analytics in the area financial crime risk and must be able to critically interpret and analyse the results produced.
- Using advanced computing assets in order to achieve real practicable results.
To be successful in the role, it is likely that you will meet the following criteria:
- A combination of applied mathematics, statistics, advanced computing (machine learning, artificial intelligence), visualisation, data engineering. Specific domain expertise in the area of combatting financial crime and/or a strong R&D background an advantage.
- Experience working within the Hadoop ecosystem in addition to strong technical skills in analytical languages such as Python, R, SQL, SAS. Specific knowledge of Spark and/or graph theory an advantage.
- Top level academic results including a relevant degree education at BSc or MSc
- High quality further education, preferably a science background/PhD
- Demonstrable, inquisitive nature with the ability to pursue lines of inquiry independently
- Can communicate/present fluently to audiences at differing ability levels on fields outside of their own technical domain
- Demonstrable interest in the Financial Crime subject area and context
For further details and application information please apply online
You'll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.
Issued by The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.