The Senior Audit Manager will support the Head of Tech & Ops Audit in providing risk-based integrated audit coverage and independent assessment of the effectiveness of key processes, controls and risk management across CLS.
CLS Internal Audit (IA) is an independent function. The Chief Internal Auditor (CIA) reports functionally to the Chairman of the Audit & Finance Committee and administratively to the Chief Executive Officer. The IA team provides a comprehensive audit service to the CLS Group of Companies and controls advice to the Board and senior management.
The Senior Audit Manager will support the Head of Tech & Ops Audit in providing risk-based integrated audit coverage and independent assessment of the effectiveness of key processes, controls and risk management across CLS. IA's ways of working reflect the requirements of CLS's designation as a Strategically Important Financial Market Utility (SIFMU). The requirements of the Audit Plan are diverse and challenging. The Senior Audit Manager will lead and oversee a portfolio of audits. It is important that the Senior Audit Manager be versatile and flexible, equally at home conducting a complex audit standalone, as line managing and guiding a small team. Importantly, the Senior Audit Manager will be expected to have a sound understand of financial services business practices and will be able to contribute to integrated audits of CLS’s various business divisions.
Major duties and responsibilities of the job:
Stakeholder Management / Strategic: (20%)
- Perform continuous monitoring of the business, under the direction of senior audit management, to identify emerging risks and issues and report to audit management and the Audit & Finance Committee.
- Communicating audit work overseen and managed to regulators and executive management.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with all levels of management and external parties.
- To monitor strategic developments within CLS and highlight any unidentified risks or potential control issues.
Audit Delivery Management: (50%)
- Manage the development of the annual Audit Plan (for their respective portfolio) based on an assessment of the key risks within CLS and continuous review of risks to ensure the plan is amended where appropriate.
- Oversee and manage independent validation to confirm management’s remediation of audit and regulatory issues.
- Responsible for managing the planning and execution of complex audits and high level reviews.
- Oversee and prioritise audit delivery across a small portfolio of audits.
- Lead complex, ambiguous, non-routine and cross-functional activity to support senior management in improving the departmental processes.
People Management: (25%)
- Manage direct reports, or other members of the Internal Audit team (including co-source resources), for the applicable portfolio audits.
- Performance management of direct reports (including coaching and performance reviews)
- Recruitment and retention of talent.
Professional Development (5%)
- Proactively maintain knowledge, skills and disciplines, with on-going professional development.
- Maintain the professional standard of the Internal Audit function and work within its agreed Terms of Reference and IIA standards/guidelines, Charter and Mandate.
- Demonstrate adaptability to ensure that the audit focus is maintained on key issues, under the guidance of audit senior management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Competencies required for successful job performance
- Extensive experience working within Internal Audit in a financial services environment (ideally banking) and / or strong financial and operational audit experience across a range of business audits in a financial institution.
- Ability to provide technical subject matter expertise during integrated operational audits.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Experience of dealing with all levels of management; ability to influence at all levels.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience and understanding of regulatory requirements, e.g. FRBNY.
- Strong IT security and technical knowledge with approximately eight or more years of experience within the industry
- Working experience with common security/technology risk frameworks, for instance, ISO 27000, NIST, and CIS Critical Security Controls, COBIT, IIA GTAG
- Working experience with regulatory standards / requirements (US, UK) i.e. GDPR, BCBS 239, FFIEC 101, 3402, CHAP
- Working experience and/or knowledge of cloud, block chain, high volume transaction systems,
- Working experience and/or knowledge of application controls, input/output, configuration, application controls
- Working experience and/or knowledge middleware, networks, operating systems, databases (Unix, Windows, AIX, DB2, Citrix)
- Working experience and/or knowledge of data analytics/ predictive analytics, data governance
- Understand policy/directives, and ability to assess risks across all types of IT systems and operations
Experience, education and any certifications as necessary for successful job performance
Degree level education
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology or related field of study preferred
Qualified Accountant (desirable) - ACA / ACCA (UK), CPA (US)
Audit Certifications (desirable) – CMIIA (UK), CIA (US)
- CISA, CGEIT, CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CompTIA, SANS
Experience of managing a portfolio of Internal Audit assignments.
Experience of managing and developing junior colleagues either as a line manager, or as an assignment lead (desirable)
Personal characteristics contributing to an individual's ability to excel in the position
- Confident in managing and leading a portfolio of audits.
- Proven success in building, developing and management a team of auditors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written).
- Must be a strong team player but also be able to work independently.
- Proactive, self-motivated - ability to plan, organise, perform and manage work with minimal supervision.
- Results oriented – able to deliver high quality results in an environment of changing demands, variable workloads and tight timescales.
- Ability to engage and influence senior stakeholders.
- Innovative problem solving approach. Able to think on a broad scale about issues affecting the company, not just those related to IA or the control environment.
- Able to interpret internal and external issues and recommend solutions/best practices.
- Ability to travel to oversee and manage audits (approx. 1–2 trips per annum).