System Development Manager
DESCRIPTION Do you like implementing innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Do you have experience managing large, complex programs? Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking an experienced people manager to lead a group of System Development Engineers who create software based solutions to bridge gaps to align our Data Centre global operations capabilities while meeting our unique customer requirements. The prospective Manager will drive the team's software development roadmaps, leading prioritization and design requirements. The Manager will be responsible for the lifecycle of their products from design, development, quality reviews and deployment, as well as operational excellence through continuous improvement, visibility, and standardization to deliver highly available services to our customers.
A successful candidate will be a hands-on manager with an established background in developing and operating platforms and services, developing and hiring extraordinary talent, have strong technical ability, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a dynamic fast paced environment.
• Manage the design and development of new software solutions supporting our internal teams, including code reviews, testing, deployment and post-launch monitoring
• Lead and manage the team that drives organizational standards for operational excellence and resiliency
• Develop, communicate, and maintain project road maps
• Establish strong relationships with internal partners and peer stakeholders to understand and meet their needs while operating existing systems at a high quality
• Dive into details of issues, make technical contributions, and drive the delivery of products and software solutions.
• Focus on hands on development of your team. Mentor, coach and grow highly talented engineers. Train engineers on best practices and drive operational excellence.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 5+ years of experience managing system or software development teams
• 5+ years as a software engineer, system engineer, or site reliability engineer
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • 2+ years experience with AWS infrastructure and tooling.
• Expertise in operational excellence, security compliance, and distributed systems' resiliency.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Experience developing in Python for similar modern programming language, such as C++, Java, C#, or Ruby.
• Expertise in operations of highly available and scalable internet systems with large customer base.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Proven ability to lead and drive org-wide meetings effectively.
• Experience managing staff and meetings across multiple sites and timezones.
If you do not meet all of these criteria, but still think you would be a great fit for this role, then we welcome you to get in touch.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.