Senior Counsel Chicago, IL, USA/en-US/External/job/Chicago-IL-USA/Senior-Counsel_R200009900-1/apply
111 W Monroe - 115 S LaSalle
Job Family Group:
Provides and manages the delivery of legal and regulatory advice on products, initiatives, strategies, policies and developments for and on behalf of BMO Financial Group. Provides legal advice based on knowledge of legal principles, practices and procedures, and knowledge of the financial services industry and its environment. Influences and negotiates to achieve business objectives. Works to achieve organizational goals while minimizing legal risk.
- Makes recommendations to senior leaders on strategy and new initiatives, based on an in-depth understanding of the business/group.
- May participate in the design of legal advice strategies & approaches for the unit activity and making recommendations to minimize legal issues.
- Acts as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders.
- Exercises judgement on complex, confidential and sensitive matters
- Identifies and resolves moderately complex issues.
- Determines root causes and negotiates resolutions.
- Delivers legal advice, instructs external counsel and ensures compliance with internal policies & procedures for a single or small number of function(s).
- Acts as a subject matter expert on relevant laws, regulations and policies.
- Resolves daily issues and/or escalates with appropriate analysis and/or recommendations.
- Identifies risks and implements appropriate actions to mitigate them.
- Implements areas of improvement to ensure consistency with market place.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/ external stakeholders.
- Geographic scope: up to global.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
- Implements changes in response to shifting trends.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically 7 years of legal practice or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Degree in law (LLB or JD) and license to practice law in relevant jurisdiction.
- Private practice, in-house experience or experience at regulatory body relating to the regulation of business/group activities may be required.
- Knowledge in legal field, typically with a functional or business line specialization.
- Knowledge of business and regulatory environment in which BMO Financial Group operates.
- Advanced knowledge of subject matter legal requirements and the operations of a single client group.
- Negotiation skills - in depth.
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience and industry knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Influence skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration - In-depth / Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth / Expert.
Were here to help
At BMO Harris Bank we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO Harris Bank team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one for yourself and our customers. Well support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, well help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at .
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each others differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO Harris Bank N.A. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Posted YesterdayFull timeR200009900 BMO Financial Group
Serving customers for 200 years and counting, BMO is a highly diversified financial services provider the 8th largest bank, by assets, in North America. With total assets of $728 billion as of October 31, 2018, and a team of diverse and highly engaged employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, BMO Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.
We serve Canadian clients through BMO Bank of Montreal®, our personal and commercial banking business, BMO Nesbitt Burns®*, one of Canada's leading wealth management firms, and BMO Capital Markets, our North American investment and corporate banking division.
In the United States, clients are served through BMO Harris Bank, a major U.S. Midwest personal and commercial bank, and BMO Private Bank, with wealth management offices across the United States, as well as BMO Capital Markets, our North American investment and corporate banking division.
We help our customers make money make sense by delivering the broadest range of financial services through a single point of contact. Our financial service professionals provide access to any services our customers require across the entire enterprise.