Sr Software Manager/ Director
Lead a department or sub-department comprised of 3 or more engineering Scrum teams to build and maintain one or more of Charles River's suite of components in a business or strategic area. Provide engineering vision, expertise and guidance on software construction while ensuring uncompromising quality and usability.
- Job DescriptionThe Senior Manager, Engineering is responsible for leading Scrum teams dedicated to the creation and maintenance of Charles River's modules. This position reports directly to the VP of Engineering.
As the Senior Manager, you are responsible for providing engineering vision, expertise and guidance on software construction while ensuring uncompromising quality and usability. You are also responsible for all aspects of staff management including promoting career growth, improving skill sets and holding teams accountable for meeting goals.
- Manage team leads and/or development team staff, including assignment of work items, employee performance, engagement and professional development
- Contribute to the entire CRIMS product beyond direct responsibilities through influence and knowledge
- Work with Product Management leadership to plan, design and develop software solutions to meet strategic market needs
- Drive the Agile process and create a culture of continuous improvement of processes and methodologies through the engineering organization
- Write, review and approve software development specifications, projects, proposals, methods and schedules
- Lead the architecture and technical direction for the area of responsibility
- Keep abreast of existing and emerging technologies impactful to CRD's business
- Provide expert guidance and critical analysis of proposed changes during design reviews and product demos with an sharp eye towards simplicity of design and function
- Advise staff members on solving complex technical problems
- Monitor progress on key initiatives and work packages to ensure fulfillment of product and scheduling objectives
- Coordinate with peers within the R & D organization to ensure seamless integration of functional workflows
- Review testing strategy and test plans for team's product to ensure high product quality
- Identify improvements in team quality processes including defining new strategies, processes, and required tooling to improve quality
- Work with the client services organization to provide support & maintenance to current customers
- Support the sales organization and assist in the execution of POCs for prospective customers
- Act as the escalation point and primary contact point for troubleshooting customer production problems and drive to quick resolution
- Act in a team lead capacity as needed
- B.S. degree (or foreign education equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics or other technical course of study required. MS degree strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 12 years of progressively responsible professional experience in a software engineering role required with a minimum of 7 years of experience in a supervisory role managing engineers, product specialists, co-ops and interns
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in financial services developing solutions for Portfolio Management, Trading, Compliance, Post-Trade, IBOR or Wealth Management is strongly desired
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical vision to achieve both tactical and strategic goals
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills