Responsible to provide technical accounting guidance/interpretation and business impact assessment on the application of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles(U.S. GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards(IFRS) to business partners across finance and enterprise for new accounting standards and business transactions. Provide accounting interpretations and recommendations to senior management and to establish/ leverage working relationships and influence decisions, behaviors at many levels of the organization to facilitate technical accounting process. Responsibilities
- Monitor new accounting developments for U.S. GAAP and IFRS with potential impact to the company, including the development of the standards and influencing the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) through the comment letter process, and communication and training for all organization levels regarding new accounting changes. Works with industry trade groups (e.g., ACLI, SIFMA, ABA) to prepare comments on proposed standards for the FASB or International Accounting Standard Board (IASB). Provides thought leadership while managing cross-functional implementation teams to define and build the operational accounting process needed to execute the changes. Provides guidance regarding the first time disclosures, documents accounting policy changes, and support to the external auditors.
- Engagement and review of new business transactions; including accounting guidance/interpretation and optimal structuring solutions for a variety of topics (e.g., stock-based compensation, business combinations, derivatives, etc.). Involves understanding the transaction, researching the accounting literature, providing structuring alternatives, strategize best position for desired results, documenting conclusions, resolving auditor questions and documentation needs, assessing and developing new controls, developing operational processes to account for complex transactions, assessing operations and/or financial risks.
- Actively stategize with peers in accounting policy group(s) for the industry trade groups. Responsible to develop relationships with peers and represent the firm's views to peers, FASB, and IASB for optimal accounting solutions for the company related to U.S. GAAP, IFRS, and statuary accounting matters.
- Review all financial statements for the Company's SEC filings and audited financial statements. Provides guidance regarding generally accepted accounting standards. Responsible to resolve inquiries from External Reporting, Business Unit Controllers, and External Auditors regarding financial statements.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting
- 7-10 years of relevant experience in public accounting and/or technical accounting policy experience
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
About Our Company
- Master's Degree
- Previous financial services experience preferred. Experience in publicly traded company is preferred
- Strong US GAAP and some IFRS knowledge
- Ability to understand complex financial transactions, research accounting issues and document conclusions
- Ability to manage a high volume of requests and projects that are time sensitive
- Ability to build and leverage working relationships, and influence all levels of leadership across the organization.
At Ameriprise Financial, we're not just in the business of helping clients with their financial goals - we also help our advisors and employees reach their true potential by embracing an inclusive and collaborative culture. We celebrate the unique qualities and reward the contributions of our talented, passionate employees. If you're motivated and want to work for a strong, ethical company that cares about you and your community, take the next step with Ameriprise Financial.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.