AML Investigator, Financial Crime Compliance
- Newark, NJ, USA Newark NJ US
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 16 Sep 18 2018-09-16
About Standard Chartered We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good. We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realize their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organization.
The Role Responsibilities
To support the Bank’s Financial Crime Compliance Americas division (FCC) in ensuring that the business in the US operates in accordance with all legal and regulatory requirements and all Group standards relating to anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing (AML).
To conduct investigations that detect and report suspicious activity to governmental authorities and enable the Bank to form sound judgments concerning reputational and other risks and meets expectations of regulators and other compliance stakeholders.
To support the promotion of the business, culture and practice of FCC within the letter and spirit of US Laws, including local Laws and Regulations, in accordance with Group standards.
- Review and analyze leads for potential suspicious activity, including those generated from detection scenario processes, the service of subpoenas and warrants, negative media reports, as well as other sources to include:
- Identifying, researching and reporting suspicious activity.
- Managing the investigative process from initial detection to disposition.
- Thoroughly and timely reviewing reports and other investigative leads that potentially identify suspicious activity.
- Formulating and recommending responses to potentially suspicious findings, reporting such activity to the appropriate regulatory authorities, and supporting FCC in developing the Bank’s forward-looking risk-mitigation response.
- Support Managers and Team Leaders in conducting AML investigations.
- Coordinating responses and requests pursuant to Section 314 of the USA PATRIOT Act.
- Work with team members to determine whether to close cases, escalate findings and/or file a Suspicious Activity Report (“SAR”) with the U.S. Treasury’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.
- Drafting and reviewing SARs.
- Performing data-entry related to tracking and documenting all investigative steps
Ensure a full understanding of the risk and control environment in area of responsibility.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
- Deliver ‘effective governance’; challenge fellow executives effectively; and work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Embed the Group’s values and code of conduct to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees form part of the culture.
- Head, FCC Investigations in region
- FCC Department in region and global
- Embed Here for good and Group’s brand and values in FCC
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
a. Execute Compliance Governance, Frameworks and Models - Individual Contributor
- Money Laundering and Terrorism Financing: Unit members possess an appropriate level of knowledge concerning the methods, typologies and trends attendant to potential money laundering, financial crime and terrorism financing to identify possible indicators of these illicit activities in the Bank’s transactional environment.
- Investigation: Unit members possess the tactical and technical skills required to (a) assess investigative predicates and triggers; (b) plan risk-based investigations; (c) select and execute appropriate investigative techniques in keeping with the FCC Procedures Manual; an (c) draw timely conclusions concerning particular transactions and future risks posed by clients, client’s clients, products, financial-crime and terrorist methodologies and regions
- Reporting: Unit Investigators can draft appropriately-detailed and accurate Suspicious Activity Reports (“SARs”), Enhanced Due Diligence (“EDD”) Reports and other written products that present clear investigative results in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and internal standards.
- The Bank: Unit members possess a sufficient understanding of the Bank’s business, compliance and operating models, including the basics of bank operations and the means by which the Bank interfaces with Group and global affiliates.
b. Software, Applications, Database and Research - Individual Contributor
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) with the ability to generate pivot tables, graphs, and charts
- Working knowledge of SharePoint with the ability to upload and update files
- Research skills, including general Internet use, Accuity,Lexis-Nexis, US government open-source databases
- External Research: Unit members know how to conduct open-source research to identify parties to transactions, negative information concerning clients and parties, and money-laundering and terrorism-financing developments, including through various media sources, government databases (e.g., property records, licensing records, PACER, etc.), AML industry sources (e.g., ACAMS, FATF), social media, etc.
- Internal Information Systems: Unit members understand how to use the Bank’s internal information systems (e.g. Detica, BKS searches, CERS and BOWB) for investigative purposes. Unit members also understand FCC and Unit protocols for archiving investigative results, generating metrics, and assessing investigative results and trends to support improvements in Unit operations, training and quality assurance
a. Achieve Results - Individual Contributor
- Proactively clarify my responsibilities and performance expectations
- Willingly follow guidance and direction
- Set myself stretch goals
- Eagerly respond to others’ needs and requests
- Persevere to get things done
- Am passionate and work hard to get outstanding results
- Give advice and guidance to colleagues
- Provide honest feedback
b. Build Resilience - Individual Contributor
- Agile and receptive to change
- Navigate ambiguity
- Stay positive and composed, even under pressure
- Resilient and quickly recover from set-backs
- Awareness of my impact on others
- Respect and validate others’ feelings
- Seek, accept and act on feedback
- Know and apply my strengths
- Actively build the professional and technical skills necessary to be successful
c. Collaborate/Stakeholder Management - Individual Contributor
- Develop a network of relationships with colleagues and other key stakeholders
- Actively collaborate within and across teams to ensure alignment
- Socialise with new people in unfamiliar situations
- Build genuine, caring and long-term relationships
- Show empathy and interest in others
- Treat others fairly and with respect
- Inclusive and take account of different views
- Create high performing, inclusive teams
- Actively develop a global mind-set and local knowledge
- Disagree and challenge without becoming defensive or argumentative
d. Communicate - ndividual Contributor
- Provide useful and timely updates
- Listen well to understand and serve clients better
- Communicate openly and honestly
- Persuade, negotiate and gain stakeholder buy-in
- Seek win-win solutions when possible
- Influence through engaging stories or presentations
- Adapt communications to suit the audience, context, time constraints or feedback
- Speak and write clearly, concisely and articulately
e. Deliver Sustainability/ Change - Individual Contributor
- Consistently execute to a high standard
- Deliver sustainable value not simply short-term benefit
- Enable clients to do cross border business
f. Management - Individual Contributor
- Deepen client relationships
- Focus on priorities and prompt execution
- Manage resources
- Actively monitor progress to ensure timely delivery
- Follow Bank policies, controls and procedures
- Live the letter and spirit of the law and Group standards
- Identify and quickly resolve risk and control issues
- Escalate issues appropriately
- Take measured risks
g. Solve Problems/Critical Thinking - Individual Contributor
- Solve problems and make decisions collaboratively
- Ask the right questions
- Analyse and interpret information or data quickly and accurately
- Spot patterns and trends
- Work with those involved to understand root causes and resolve issues
- Contribute creative but practical ideas
- Align stakeholders to ensure timely decision making
- Use my judgment to make wise and informed decisions
- Think before I act
h. Spot Opportunities - Individual Contributor
- Am passionate about the Bank’s strategic aspiration and success
- Anticipate future needs and opportunities
- Seek and apply best practices and ideas
- Encourage people to challenge practices that are out of date or can be improved
- Improve processes, services or products and minimize complexity
- Learn quickly and enthusiastically
- Am curious and seek appropriate information or data from a range of sources
- Think broadly and long-term
i. Take the Lead - Individual Contributor
- Live the Bank’s values and Here for good
- Act with integrity, even under difficult circumstances
- Place the Bank’s interests over personal gain
- Earn others’ trust and respect by being consistent, transparent and ethical
- Make myself accessible to others
- Am confident, courageous and willing to speak up about decisions or actions that are inconsistent with our values
- Volunteer to represent the team
- Am proactive and take initiative
- Take personal accountability for decisions, actions and outcomes
- Admit my mistakes and learn from them
Education, Experience and Accreditation
- Bachelor degree in Finance, Economics, Economic Crime Investigation, or related field of study, from an accredited institution
- Advanced degrees (JD, MBA, etc.) will be viewed positively
- 3-5 years experience in a large multinational financial institution, law firm or a global organization.
- 1-3 years AML Compliance or related banking experience and / or experience involving money laundering or complex financial investigations within the financial industry or in the governmental regulatory, intelligence or law enforcement space (international, federal, state and local levels will be considered.
- CAMS certification strongly preferred. (Required within one year)
- Demonstrates an understanding of the key products or services provided by the business / function, and the processes and controls that underpin them.
- Demonstrates an understanding of compliance regulations, knowledge of global procedures and policies, including a core understanding in AML, Sanctions, CDD or Anti Bribery.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the SAR process.
- Proven capability to conduct open source research and leverage Bank internal data sources to assist in building composite analytical products.
- Has the ability to interpret complex information and determine the research and analysis required to extract facts that can be objectively supported. Has a strong investigative mindset where critical thinking is applied, exemplified by a number of attributes; professional scepticism, a meticulous and consistent approach to research and analytics, and the ability to thoroughly articulate a defence for conclusions reached.
- Clear, concise communication style (written and verbal); demonstrates engaged listening skills; able to maintain composure in a stressed situation.
- Self motivated - Strong work orientation, works independently, takes accountability for decisions, actions and outcomes
- Collaborative - Actively collaborate within and across teams
- Personal Agility - Agile and receptive to change. Positive and solutions oriented
- Prior law enforcement or regulatory experience will be viewed positively
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.