Senior Data Engineer/Quant, Global Data
Bloomberg runs on data, and the Global Data team here is responsible for acquiring it and providing it to our clients. We collect, analyze, process and publish the data which is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal- the facts and figures which fundamentally move the financial markets. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies, and we implement technology solutions to improve our systems, products and processes- and all this while providing platinum customer support to our clients.
We're one step ahead of the game- constantly looking to increase the depth and breadth of our data coverage, improve our engagement with the industry, and ultimately provide data solutions and insights to our customers before they even know they need them. The Role
As a Senior Data Engineer/Quant, you'll be working with a group of experienced data engineers and data scientists on large and diverse data challenges, applying your practical experience within Data Analysis and Machine Learning to identify/screen for data errors in sophisticated data sets - the kind of data that sets Bloomberg apart from the competition.
You'll get to design and prototype statistical solutions that improve our data quality and scale these proof-of-concept models into production systems using our internal technology stack, ultimately producing premium client-facing content. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Be responsible for the end-to-end process of delivering solutions to real business problems, from start to finish: identify the opportunity, benchmark the status quo, design and prototype solutions, build the applications and data pipelines, bring the system into production, evaluate and monitor the results
- Own the automated quality control in Global Data, employing techniques such as data analysis, hypothesis testing, outlier detection, benchmarking, and cluster analysis for automated quality control
- Design optimal solutions using your knowledge of industry-standard statistics and ML techniques on a wide range of financial data, ideally using Python ML libraries (e.g. NumPy, Pandas, SciPy, matplotlib, scikit-learn, statsmodels, Numba, TensorFlow, PySpark, PyTorch etc.) on our big data/ML platforms
- Interact with the various data teams in our department in order to understand their products and advise on the business rules and statistical methods/algorithms needed to spot and screen for errors
- Design and develop large-scale projects and initiatives that challenge the status quo when it comes to how we analyze and process data
- Elicit requirements and present findings to a wide range of partners with a wide range of statistics and technical domain expertise
- Monitor the efficacy of your automated quality models through visual and user-friendly dashboards in order to make data-driven recommendations
We'd love to see:
- Advanced degrees in STEM field or 3+ years of experience in a Data Engineering, Machine Learning, Data Science or Data Analytics role
- Proficient with one or more programming/scripting languages, preferably Python
- Advanced knowledge of data modeling, database design and SQL
- Applied ML/NLP development experience, designing software architecture and building production-quality applications, using primarily Python-based industry-standard toolkits to tackle real-world problems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially when explaining technical processes and statistical solutions to business partners and management
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship now and in the future
Does this sound like you?
- Knowledge of NLP techniques and Python libraries (e.g. NLTK, spaCy, TextBlob, Stanford CoreNLP, Gensim, polyglot etc.)
- Familiarity with big data/streaming stack (Kafka, Spark, Hadoop, HBase, Solr)
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.