Big Data Engineer
Big Data Engineer
We are looking for a Big Data Engineer that will work on the collecting, storing, processing, and analyzing of large sets of data. The hire will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross-functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. Responsibilities:
- Create and maintain optimal data platform architecture,
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS 'big data' technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders from both the business and technology to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Create data and analytical tools for internal customers that assist them in building and optimizing our data organization into an innovative industry leader.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Experience with object-oriented/object-function languages: Python, Java, Scala, etc.
- Experience with big data tools: Spark, Presto, Hadoop, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including SQL Server, MySQL and Cassandra.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow, Luigi, etc.
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EMR, RDS, Redshift, Athena, SQS, etc.
- Data / software engineering background; Proficient at working with large datasets
- Unix/Linux command-line experience
- Experience working with AWS
- Broad understanding of equities, derivatives, futures, FX, or other financial-services instruments
- Highly analytical with good problem solving skills
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Excellent listening, and communication (both oral and written) skills
- Self-starter and critical thinker, takes ownership of own projects and makes improvement suggestions for the entire infrastructure.
- Proactive, assertive and attentive to details.
- Results-oriented, can deliver quality code quickly
- Can work independently and in a collaborative environment.
- Can handle several projects with different priorities at the same time in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent self-management and problem-solving skills.
- Quick learner