SRE - Systems Infrastructure Stability
Bloomberg's Systems Infrastructure Stability SRE team is trusted to administer the end-to-end environment for Bloomberg's installation of numerous service providing technologies such as: RabbitMQ, Kafka, Comdb2, Redis and more - which support the applications that constitute Bloomberg's line of products. On any given day we're inventing, engineering, developing, building, coding, trouble-shooting and maintaining a wide range of: tools, monitors, frameworks, interfaces, protocols, solutions and best-practices. These components stitch together a robust suite of automated and self-healing systems that manage the services that Systems Infrastructure provides to the rest of the firm. We maximize uptime, provision and balance resources, architect and coordinate operational procedures, administer backup and recovery processes, coordinate maintenance windows, manage replication and oversee workflows. What's in it for you:
In addition to managing the overall Systems Infrastructure environment, you'll work directly on installations of technologies and Runtime Services such as RabbitMQ, Comdb2, Kafka, Redis and more; getting to collaborate every day with the application developers that create these applications to integrate the services they provide into the Bloomberg operational environment as well as Bloomberg products. So, not only will you have high-level-ownership and "the classic SRE responsibilities" such as: system tuning, performance analysis and the management of patches, installations, and upgrades; you'll also have immediate access to the experts that are designing and coding the Bloomberg specific components, APIs and methods. This means insight and entry to the lowest levels of how Bloomberg applications interact with each other and the Systems Infrastructure environment for the purposes of both in-depth troubleshooting and enhancing stability, reliability, performance and feature-set.
We're open to trying new ideas, processes and technologies; so, you should be imaginative, creative, self-motivated and highly curious as innovation and initiative are highly valued here. Problem-solving, programming, logical frameworks and Unix systems should all be second nature to you. We are looking for someone that will continually strive to improve our environment; regularly asking "why?" and saying: "we can make this better!" You need to have:
We'd love to see:
- 5+ years experience with Unix, Unix tools and shell scripting
- 3+ years experience developing utilities and tools in Python
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP networking and the OSI model
- Experience designing and automating repeatable processes in a client/server modeled environment
- Experience supporting a highly available production systems
- Ability to build and maintain highly complex systems for stability, performance and integration
- Experience building and scaling out mission-critical and high-throughput systems
- Experience building monitors and alarms for system performance, status and stability
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field experience
- Any experience in Rapid framework
- Experience analyzing existing systems and identifying shortcomings with concrete ideas for improvement
- C programming skills
- Experience designing stable, long-lasting APIs
- Experience with Humio, Splunk and Grafana
- Experience with GitHub and JIRA.
- Passion for product ownership
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.