Senior Python Engineer - Enterprise Metering
Our challenge is complexity at scale. As Bloomberg's Enterprise Data business has grown year over year, we see a massive explosion of financial data that our clients use. We need to build systems that support high volume data ingestion, large-scale data storage and distributed data processing. Our data captures the who, what, when, where and how of our clients' use of various Bloomberg Enterprise products. Our mission is to use this data to power operational use cases like invoicing as well as to feed our business intelligence systems. We are very sensitive to our customers' data privacy needs, and our goal is to ensure appropriate controls and audit-ability of our systems.
As an engineer on the Metering team, you will help us build and improve our Enterprise Metering Platform to track billions of data points per day and apply various algorithms that drive our product commercials. What's in it for you:
Starting with being a part of an awesome team that works hard, works smart and has a mission to leverage big data technologies to tackle our data processing at-scale problems. You will be working on many open-source tools and technologies and will be encouraged to research and propose the right solution for solving some of our technology as well as business challenges. Get involved in building systems that will eventually expand to impact the whole firm, not just the Enterprise business!
We collaborate closely with multiple teams within the organization to understand their workflows and build easy-to-use frameworks. Some of our ongoing and upcoming initiatives revolve around on-boarding data driving our BQL (Bloomberg Query Language: A distributed analytics framework which allows internal and external users to express complex data retrieval, analytics and screening criteria) platform; evolving our data privacy and audit-ability use cases; operationalizing new product on-boarding; laying the foundation for offering our platform as a service; use ML based tools to identify data anomalies; and many more. Our technology stack uses Greenplum SQL, Python, Apache Hadoop, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark & Apache Phoenix. You will be given opportunities to devise reliable, scalable and maintainable functionality. As a senior engineer, you will play a key role in assisting other team members with development process and giving constructive feedback by doing design and code reviews. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Collaboratively design and develop components consistent with industry standards, project specific design principles and frameworks
- Work with engineering and product teams across Bloomberg and understand their application requirements and data access patterns
- Influence architectural decisions and develop high performance components that meet our latency and scale expectations
- Be willing to tackle new challenges, learn new technologies quickly
- Think about bigger picture, take calculated risks and come up with innovative ideas
We'd love to see:
- Experience or interest in relational databases
- Experience with or an interest to work in Python
- Strong problem-solving skills and knowledge of commonly used data structures
- Ability to effectively communicate within the team and with stakeholders outside the team
- Experience working in fast paced Continuous Delivery projects
If this sounds like you, please apply!
- Knowledge of SQL and experience using one or more RDBMS's
- Experience with MPP (Massively Parallel Processing) databases
- Hands on experience working with Kafka, Phoenix, Hadoop, Streaming frameworks
- A keen interest in learning modern technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technologies into existing systems
At Bloomberg, we are extremely proud of our diverse, open, and inclusive culture. We value diversity of thought and perspective in every form. We're looking for engineers with a real passion for writing reusable, efficient solutions to complex problems, who can adapt to an ever-changing market landscape, and who can collaborate and work effectively on small teams to develop software that impacts thousands of financial institutions and decision makers around the world.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.