Senior Software Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure
Bloomberg Cloud Compute (BCC) provides private cloud infrastructure to a wide breadth of Bloomberg engineering teams, supporting hundreds of applications and thousands of virtual machines. Our mission is to scale and develop this platform further while automating away routine tasks. We help teams move faster with self-service compute resources while also improving Bloomberg's data center efficiency with better matching of resources to workloads. We develop our product in part using a public open source project based on OpenStack. We also use Ubuntu, Chef and Ansible and leverage cutting-edge network techniques such as pure layer 3 networking with BGP and ECMP and distributed firewalls built on Calico.
We are passionate about scaling and managing services, virtualisation, distributed systems, designing networks, and optimising compute and storage performance. What's in it for you:
As a member of the Cloud Infrastructure team, you will be one of the developers of future versions of BCC as we look to move it to a fully containerised control plane and add a range of new features. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to our upstream projects such as OpenStack itself, Ansible, and potentially Kolla, Helm and Airship. You'll be encouraged to attend relevant technology conferences and engage with their respective communities. You will have the opportunity to develop your skills in a wide range of areas such as OpenStack itself, Python, distributed systems/consensus algorithms, QoS, LBaaS, GPU virtualization, and high performance storage. We'll expect you to:
You'll need to have:
- Add and extend core BCC features
- Improve BCC reliability, scalability, observability, capacity management
- Participate in design discussions, planning, task breakdown.
- Help BCC users adopt and use BCC well
- Occasional out-of-hours support for BCC incidents
We'd love to see:
- Demonstrated programming experience ( e.g. 1+ years in python or other related language)
- Familiarity with (or willingness to learn) OpenStack, Python, Ansible
- Familiarity with private cloud, Linux, networking
- Eagerness to join a small, intense, growing team with a critical mission.
- Deep knowledge of 1 or more of the above mentioned areas
- Accepted upstream Open Source contributions
- Talk(s) or paper(s) accepted at relevant conferences
If this sounds like you, please don't hesitate to apply! We'll get in touch if we believe you're a good match and get started with a technical phone interview.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.