Tax Compliance Director
Director, Tax Compliance
The Director of Tax Compliance will be responsible for the oversight and management of all aspects of federal and state tax compliance. Candidate should have significant experience in tax compliance primarily with U.S. consolidated corporate (1120) and U.S. partnership (1065) reporting. The Company is experiencing significant growth presenting substantial opportunity for self-motivated individuals who thrive on challenges to help build and create a best-in-class tax function.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Leading and directing a highly skilled tax compliance team for the delivery and completion of all required corporate and partnership tax returns for the company and its affiliates.
• Supervise and delegate responsibility of tax compliance team consisting of 4 people and assess additional staffing needs where applicable.
• Management and coordination of outside service vendors including paid preparer engagements for certain company affiliates.
• Oversee the accuracy and successful filing of consolidated 1120 Federal tax returns including international reporting (5471s, 8865s, 8858s, etc.) and State returns, including related quarterly estimates and extension process.
• Oversee the accuracy and successful filing of Federal and State and local partnership returns including NYC UBT returns.
• Ensure compliance with all Federal and State and Local income tax laws, income tax filing requirements and electronic filing mandates.
• Manage quarterly income tax estimated payment calculations for individual partners.
• Analyze significant transactions to determine applicable tax treatment in accordance with the relevant tax law.
• Liaise with the tax accounting team in identifying and documenting book-to-tax adjustments, review of provision to return true-up calculations and analysis of tax attributes and cash tax payments.
• Provide tax input for financial budgets, imputed income, quarterly tax dashboard, cash tax and forecasts.
• Establish and properly maintain internal control functions and SOX documentation where applicable.
• Assess and determine ways to streamline the tax return process to become more efficient.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field
• CPA designation and/or Master's degree in Tax strongly preferred
• Public Accounting experience preferred
• Experience in banking and capital markets a plus
• 8 - 12 years of experience in domestic income tax compliance reviewing complex tax returns (both federal and state)
• Significant experience with corporate consolidated tax returns, state combined and/or unitary filings and partnership tax returns
• Strong technical knowledge and a thorough understanding of the tax code with the ability to explain complex tax concepts to management and tax team
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of programs, specifically Excel
• OneSource software for tax return preparation
• Strong managerial skills with a hands on approach
• Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate and interact effectively with people from multi-functional and diverse backgrounds
• Ability to effectively analyze, organize, and prioritize workflow according to internal and external deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to lead, direct and coach a team of tax professionals and experience training and developing staff
• Working knowledge of Oracle software used for general ledger a plus