Roast my CV: I really want to be an M&A banker
I’m looking to break into investment banking.
I will soon be starting my Master’s in Finance at a prestigious liberal arts college in the US (on a $60k scholarship) this year, and have plenty of experience at a high level of finance (and education).
On paper, I already know that what I have is very good - but I know it needs to be presented perfectly. Can you help me turn this good track record into a perfect resume?
Please help by leaving a comment below with your thoughts.
[You can send your own CV for roasting to firstname.lastname@example.org]
THE [REDACTED] UNIVERSITY OF [REDACTED]
Postgraduate Diploma in Financial Management (among top 4/50 candidates) 84.5%
Oct 2020 – Sep 2021
Bachelor’s in business administration (Merit Scholar - top 2% applicants) CGPA 7.92/10
Jun 2017 – May 2020
Corporate Finance M&A Executive, [REDACTED]
Mar 2021 - Present
A leading risk advisory, insurance & reinsurance firm in [REDACTED], serving major Fortune 500 firms & premium handling $100m+
● Analyzed cash flow metrics to help set annual & quarterly client acquisition targets in B2B space
● Conducted Capital Budgeting analysis of an investment as a part of financial review to save 2 million in investment costs.
● Collected & analyzed data to prepare reports on the long-term trajectory of firm for a private capital raise
Analyst, [REDACTED] (Campus Offer- 5/25+ applicants)
Aug 2020 - Jan 2021
A market consulting & analytics firm, one of the three largest such firms globally in the consumer business sector
● Coordinated a team of 6 & a broader group of 15+ members across India & Malaysia hubs to support client deliverables for all clients in India, Saudi Arabia, UAE, and MENA regions on retail measurement systems
● Worked on 2 global projects viz, GTX & MENA Integration within 3 months; assisted Mexico and Malaysia DCs
Summer Analyst (Finance Intern), [REDACTED]
May 2020 – Jul 2020
[REDACTED]’s largest diversified conglomerate working in variety of sectors
● Analyzed cash flows, and topline for 4 quarters for impact of COVID-19 & logistic difficulties; assisted project finance & coordination
● Presented the budgetary decisions of finance team for a USD 700 million+ revenue manufacturing unit considering 5+ data points
● Conducted cost benefit analysis for a 100% production enhancement; helped management team take key strategic decision to enhance production; advised on ‘make or buy’ decision during acquisitions of 2 major competitor manufacturing units by [parent company]
Sales & Marketing Intern, [REDACTED]
Apr 2019 – Jun 2019
A national award-winning Ed tech youth training startup with 80000+ user base.
● Analyzed regional target market of late teens & youth, connected with 15+ institutions to help in strategic advertising decisions
● Led a team of 4 interns to build time bound sales & outreach plans; achieve 25k in sales within 2 months
● Managed complete marketing & brand campaign for 8 weeks; secured a full time offer on completion of my degree
● Patient Advocate- [REDACTED]: participated in research by University of Minnesota, interacted with & advised current patients on anxiety & disorders.
Jul 2022 - Present
● Volunteer, [REDACTED] (functional in over 100 countries): engaged multiple village schools to build sanitation awareness & public performances for environmental concern
Sep 2020 – Aug 2021
● Volunteer, [REDACTED] - conducted nation building weekly camp for 12 weeks for 25 unprivileged children to bridge the conceptual gap in reading & creative skills
Dec 2020 – Mar 2021
● Volunteer, [REDACTED]: collaborated with police & conducted presentations in an industrial unit & an educational institution for traffic awareness & vigilance to build vigilant citizens out of the students.
● Volunteer, [REDACTED]: Conducted blood donation camp - collected 51+ units of blood, transferred to [REDACTED] Public Hospital; conducted Awareness camps comprising of 5000+ beneficiaries
AWARDS AND EXTRACURRICULARS
● Received National Runner up in Case competition & Crisis Committee competition at [REDACTED] [REDACTED] University
● Raised 21k in 7 days & helped 5 MSME firms gain new clients at College annual event
● Scored highest in all Finance subjects during my Bachelor’s; ranked top 10 out of all students
Jun 2017 – May 2020
● National Laureate Awardee & Scholar – Central Board of Secondary Education
PROJECTS & CERTIFICATES
● Excel Advanced Spreadsheet for Finance by Corporate Finance Institute
● Financial Globalization Certificate from the Asian Development Bank
● Negotiation & Conflict Management Certificate course from the United States Institute of Peace
● Student Member of Equalifi, formerly known as AIWMI
● Private Equity & Venture Capital – Coursera
● Hobbies: I like reading Jack Reacher novels, love to run 3 milers & make resin art
● Languages: English, Hindi, Gujarati
Click here to create a profile on eFinancialCareers. Make yourself visible to recruiters hiring for top jobs in technology and finance.
Have a confidential story, tip, or comment you’d like to share? Contact: email@example.com in the first instance. Whatsapp/Signal/Telegram also available (Telegram: @SarahButcher)
Bear with us if you leave a comment at the bottom of this article: all our comments are moderated by human beings. Sometimes these humans might be asleep, or away from their desks, so it may take a while for your comment to appear. Eventually it will – unless it’s offensive or libelous (in which case it won’t.)